Our founders have been involved with Kairos Prison Ministry at RJ Donovan for many years. After reading Father Greg Boyle’s book, Tattoos on the Heart, and hearing him speak to inmates, they recognized the dire need for a San Diego based nonprofit modeled after Father Boyle’s teachings and subsequently founded the public benefit nonprofit Rise Up Industries.
Following the model of Homeboy Industries in Los Angeles, the most successful program of its type in the US, RiseUp Industries Reentry Program opened in Santee in March 2016. It assists former gang members to successfully reenter society; thereby, reducing the gang population and the recidivism rate.
Over the years we have learned that jobs are about 80% of what these folks need to redirect their lives. The other 20% is a mixture of therapeutic and support services. So, in addition to paying men to receive job training, we also require that they spend part of their working day working on themselves.